FSB – CURRENT ISSUES

Propositions, initiatives ou suggestions pour le développement du bridge dans votre région
Répondre
Swisscan

FSB – CURRENT ISSUES

Message par Swisscan » jeu. 13 sept. 2018 16:54

FSB – CURRENT ISSUES
• Membership is declining;
• members are getting older; and
• participation in tournaments has dropped significantly.

The 3 issues mentioned above are obviously related but the correlation is not linear. By not linear I mean that the loss of tables at tournaments is not in proportion to the reduction in members. It is a result of members getting older (2 sessions is too many for some, too far to travel to the playing site (for example for me to play at the club in Bern or Fribourg requires just over 5 hours of travel time), etc) and also the sense that some members feel that they have no chance to win.

Possible solutions
The reduction of number of FSB members is not an easy issue to address. All countries are struggling with this. We need to interest younger players, attract middle aged adults and retain our older members. As our membership grows older, we need to encourage these persons to participate more and keep their membership.

Members feel they have no chance to win:
The ACBL addresses this issue by have flighted, stratified and other systems so that there are winners at various levels. In Switzerland, only the Swiss Open in Zurich has two different sections, one that is open and another for non premier series. This is a good system and should be encouraged where the table count is sufficient. However, it would be good to play the same hands in both sections. The open section number of participants would be based on the total table count (open and non premiere series) for purposes of calculating red points.
Swiss team events- winners of each match should receive green points (one red point for winning a match in the Swiss team Championship held in January). At the end of the completion, players in the overall will be credited with the higher of the overall award or the points won for winning a match. In North America, Swiss teams are a very popular event as everyone gets points.

Members are getting older
More events restricted to seniors, such as an entrainement for seniors. This would be an event open to all seniors, 3-6 qualification rounds to be played during on week-day afternoons, scoring by match points. The game sites would be in all the principal cities, with, if possible, scoring across the field, so the games would have to be played at the same time. The EN sessions could be incorporated into the regular afternoon games. A final of 36 boards to be played one afternoon during the week.

Another senior event would be a team event, either KO, RR or Swiss or a Cup and a Swiss. Even if only 2 teams are interested in the cup, still hold it in the first year. Matches of 24 or 28 boards without screens to be played with a date limit of a Thursday afternoon.

CUP - Reduce the number of boards to be played in the Cup in the early rounds to 28. (implemented to a limited extent)

EN – point awards are poor. In 2018, the FSB introduced points for those qualifying for the finals (degressive scale with 5 red points for the last qualifying position). In my opinion, the number of points awarded to qualifiers should be increased but the qualifiers should only receive the greater of the points won for placing in a session or the minimum for qualifying.

EN – the overall point awards for the winners is not very much. 120 red points should be increased to 250. Second should receive 125, third 100 and so on. Perhaps points only for the 9/12 or those with a score of average or better, as all qualifiers will receive some points due to the minimum points awarded for qualifying (but the points for qualifying should be about 60 ….. Also consideration should be given to increasing the PE’s awarded from 45 to 64.
George Hashimoto

steibock

Re: FSB – CURRENT ISSUES

Message par steibock » ven. 14 sept. 2018 12:48

Interesting proposals. Some thoughts on that.

I agree on the summary of the three main problems we're facing:

• Membership is declining
• members are getting older
• participation in tournaments has dropped significantly

I think the most important point is the drop in tournament participation. There might be a good amount of people who don't feel like getting massacred at the game. Especially, if they get treated badly from other players for their mistakes. The high age average is surely not helping and traveling up to 5 or 6 hours for a tournament is definitely problematic.

However, adding more tournaments for seniors seems wrong to me. We have already few participants and with the seniors restriction you might make the new tournaments even smaller than they could have been. Additionally, it contradicts your proposal to attract more young and middle aged players.

Adjusting green/red/expert points might be interesting for some players. However, I feel like we should start thinking about what the points actually are for. To me it seems like the points a player has should reflect his abilities at the game, correct me if I'm wrong. Therefore, adding points just so people get some seems odd. There might even be some outcry about the work required to change certain point limits for the classifications, due to the point "inflation" introduced. Personnally, I tend more towards handicaps then point additions.

To me it feels like the best thing to do, is to make sure people enjoy their tournaments. If you come home from a tournament and your wife/husband/parents/kids/friends/etc ask you how your day was, the answer should be positive. No matter your skill level, age or home town. Because that is when you start to make other people interested in the game. If you come home happy your family and friends see that Bridge makes you happy and they might think: Maybe I should give it a go?
Or look at it from the other side: If I'm pissed every time I come home from a tournament, how the heck will I convince my girlfriend to start playing???

irenen

Message par irenen » ven. 14 sept. 2018 15:33

I like the idea of an afternoon EN which is played simultaneously in several locations. It would not even need to be restricted to seniors (although most other people might not be able to join...), since quite a lot of people seem to like the evening simultaneous tournaments we have, maybe we could also start an afternoon simultaneous tournament?
Irene Nägeli

Swisscan

Message par Swisscan » sam. 15 sept. 2018 00:53

Hi Irene! There are at least two of us on the Forum. Swisscan, George Hashimoto
George Hashimoto

Swisscan

Message par Swisscan » sam. 15 sept. 2018 01:18

steibock a écrit :
ven. 14 sept. 2018 12:48
Interesting proposals. Some thoughts on that.

I agree on the summary of the three main problems we're facing:
K8
• Membership is declining
• members are getting older
• participation in tournaments has dropped significantly

I think the most important point is the drop in tournament participation. There might be a good amount of people who don't feel like getting massacred at the game. Especially, if they get treated badly from other players for their mistakes. The high age average is surely not helping and traveling up to 5 or 6 hours for a tournament is definitely problematic.

However, adding more tournaments for seniors seems wrong to me. We have already few participants and with the seniors restriction you might make the new tournaments even smaller than they could have been. Additionally, it contradicts your proposal to attract more young and middle aged players.

Adjusting green/red/expert points might be interesting for some players. However, I feel like we should start thinking about what the points actually are for. To me it seems like the points a player has should reflect his abilities at the game, correct me if I'm wrong. Therefore, adding points just so people get some seems odd. There might even be some outcry about the work required to change certain point limits for the classifications, due to the point "inflation" introduced. Personnally, I tend more towards handicaps then point additions.

MY COMMENTS
I agréé that handicapping is a valid approach. I understand that the FSB is working on this.

However, as far as seniors go, my proposal was for more events for seniors that are played during the week and during the afternoon. In addition, I suggested that the EN qualification could even be part of a regular afternoon game. There is only one FSB event for seniors. Seniors are probably the largest segment of the FSB membership. So to address the feeling that they are just fodder for the good players, restricting some events to seniors may address the issue to a limited extent. Also for point awards for team matches won, this is quite common in the USA, Canada, UK. The players who do not place in the overall will at least get something. Again, what is the cost?

Finally, your point about bridge should be fun is 100% correct. The French try to make tournaments convivial and more social. This is good idea and the FSB and some tournaments make an effort in this area. A few yesrs ago, sfter the imp pairs at the Hilton, a number of players went to the hotel bar after the game. There were a lot of discussions, the FFB president (P Grenthe) was there and it was interesting to chat with him. In St Moritz, talking to world class players over breakfast or drinks in the evening was also a treat. So I agree, tournaments should be more fun and the socisl aspects emphasized. After the afternoon session, perhaps at the bar, the tournament leader could discuss or analyse one hand that was played for 8-10 minutes (afternoon because in the evening, people want to go home).
END COMMENTS - George Hashimoto
To me it feels like the best thing to do, is to make sure people enjoy their tournaments. If you come home from a tournament and your wife/husband/parents/kids/friends/etc ask you how your day was, the answer should be positive. No matter your skill level, age or home town. Because that is when you start to make other people interested in the game. If you come home happy your family and friends see that Bridge makes you happy and they might think: Maybe I should give it a go?
Or look at it from the other side: If I'm pissed every time I come home from a tournament, how the heck will I convince my girlfriend to start playing???
George Hashimoto

Répondre