Newcomers

Propositions, initiatives ou suggestions pour le développement du bridge dans votre région
Vorschläge und Initiativen zur Entwicklung des Bridge in Ihrer Region
Répondre
Swisscan

Newcomers

Message par Swisscan » mar. 6 août 2019 13:00

At the AGM in Bern held at the end of June, the agreement with Pierre Zimmermann (PZ) was announced. PZ will provide CHF 50,000 to the FSB for the purposes of promoting bridge. The FSB is in the process of deciding how this money should be spent. Another subject that was discussed was the various classes being given to teach people how to play bridge. In some cases, the courses were free. I believe that the FSB should assist in subsidizing the cost of attending introductory courses to make it more financially attractive for the student and to assist the bridge clubs that provide the service.

Once we have students learning how to play bridge, we need to encourage them to play. To address this issue, we need to understand why the students want to learn how to play bridge. (This can be done by asking them in a structured manner.) Some people learn how to play bridge because they want to play socially, others because they want to make friends, others because their partner, family or friends play. Do they need a bridge partner? Once we understand the motivation, we can devise a strategy to get them into a club.

Currently the FSB monthly Bulletin does not have content addressed to the NEW player. While it would be nice to have original content, there is plenty of material available available from other bridge organisations such as the ACBL.

Going from the classroom to a first club tournament is a big first step. I am not aware of any programmes in place that addresses this. I believe that a tournament restricted to new members be arranged on a regional level (Geneva, Lausanne, Fribourg, Bern, Zurich, etc) say twice a year. They would play 12-16 hands with commentary. Additionally a pamphlet entitled « My first duplicate » should be provided to them that would include a brief section on match points, alerts, unauthorized information, etiquette. Newcomers need to build up confidence, (they also need more time to bid, they will hesitate and director calls would intimidate them, ruining their experience) so a first or even second tournament among peers would be beneficial. At the club near Montreal where my sister learned to play bridge there was a weekly tournament for newcomers and inexperienced players.

There is a lot we can do to convert those learning how to play bridge to being members of bridge clubs playing in club and FSB tournaments. I am convinced that there are many good ideas and successful strategies on how to do this. Teaching people how to play bridge is an important first step. But it is only a first step.
George Hashimoto

steibock

Re: Newcomers

Message par steibock » mer. 7 août 2019 09:38

Good to hear some ideas for bridge promotion. I think we can discuss these things under the assumption, that financial issues will not have to be discussed. If a good concept is presented the FSB should be willing to support it.

I agree that the quickest way to learn - given some basics - is to play. From a few newcomers I spoke to I often heard, that a 26 boards tournament is too long for them. Therefore, I agree that a shorter tournament for beginners is required. However, I would prefer if the clubs would offer something like that and not primarily the FSB. That way the frequency of the tournaments can be increased, as I think twice a year is not enough.

A beginners section in the bulletin would be very nice. Every bulletin an introduction into the basics of bidding and play (i.e. common mistakes or uncertainties). First a short motivation/anecdote, then a theory part followed by a quiz with explanations. All in one page preferably, quick and easy. What do you think?

Swisscan

Message par Swisscan » mer. 7 août 2019 16:07

The articles on Opening leads and bidding in the Bulletin are not really geared to newcomers. In addition, we need information from the teachers as to where, when, how many and from the newcomers as to their needs, background and motivation.

The problem with having the individual clubs organising the newcomer tournaments is that two or three clubs in an area may be giving courses and the tournament should include students from all the courses. The FSB has regional coordinators and perhaps they could coordinate the newcomer tournaments. I would be pleased to assist in the set up.
George Hashimoto

Swisscan

Message par Swisscan » mer. 7 août 2019 16:13

Another deterrent to playing in a tournament for the first time is the fear of the unknown. A deterrent to playing a second time is the experience from the first. Sad but true. That is why tournaments restricted to newcomers and properly supervised are important to preparing newcomers to tournament bridge.
George Hashimoto

Swisscan

Message par Swisscan » mer. 7 août 2019 16:14

Your idea as to the article content for newbies is good!
George Hashimoto

steibock

Message par steibock » lun. 12 août 2019 07:22

I agree, the current articles are not suited for newbies. What I personally was missing when I started playing bridge is the complete basics. And given what I see at club tournaments I feel like these basics are not widely spread. Examples are the general rules for handling majors over partners 1NT opening. Or general guidelines to signaling. This could be taken care of with a column in the bulletin. Additionally the material should be available via the FSB website, to make it available for reference.

Any ideas for authors? I would propose this to the FSB if we have a good concept and plan.

Swisscan

Message par Swisscan » lun. 12 août 2019 23:36

To Steibock,
Yes, articles covering the bridge basics are needed. On the plus side is that the ACBL has a lot of articles and the FSB should try to obtain permission to use them. Otherwise, these articles could be used a models and a Swissified version prepared. I have some old ACBL Bulletins at home and can look at the topics.

There should also be some guidance on what to expect when a newbie plays a first tournament. Bridgemates, hesitations, director calls, UI should be covered. In addition, you mentioned including some questionnaires, which I think is a very good idea.

In an email to the FSB, I suggested that, with the subject’s permission of course, a brief, one paragraph bio of new FSB joiners be included. (A template of information to be requested can be easily developed.) Of course, all this requires volunteers as well as space in the FSB magazine. Given that any article has to be produced in both German and French, and why not from time to time in Italian (new member bio could be in one language only), space is an issue. However, if we want to promote bridge, we will need to allocate resources to attracting and developing new players.
George Hashimoto

Répondre